[thelist] Fresh Apache Local Install Questions

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Sun Sep 11 06:01:23 CDT 2005

Rich Points wrote:
> Howdy,
> I finally broke down and installed an Apache server on my Windows
> machine and have it partially working.  I have two questions at this point.
> I want to be able to log on to the server via ftp but I don't know what
> the default login and password are.  Can someone tell  me what the
> password is or where I can set it?

Hello Rich :

Firstly, Apache is not a FTP server, so unless you have installed a
separate FTP server, this question is invalid :)

If you are working on the same computer as your server, you don't need
FTP since you can save files directly to the document root location.  By
default, this is C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\ (if you
are using Apache2 and have choosen the default installation path).

> My.htacess files don't seem to be working locally, these files are
> working properly on various servers on the web.  How can I make the
> .htacces files function correctly?

You might have to enable .htaccess for directories under htdocs. I'm
dont' recall if this option is disabled by default, but seems so in your
case.

Hopefully this helps,
Burhan