[thelist] What tools should I use?

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 14:37:36 CDT 2005

Robert Gormley wrote:

>Definitely a prerequisite. But then again, no different from checking
>ASP/IIS/SQL versions.

I disagree about the extent of the issues. IIS and ASP are a stable,
predictable platform - the advantage of being the oldest dynamic page
technology. The only difference you get caught out by in the MS workflow
is whether CDONTS is available on Win 2k servers. You don't have the
multiplicity of versions that is inherent in PHP and Apache configurations.

Versions of MySQL are analogous to versions of SQL Server, but there are
a scad load more of them.

Thanks for the other great PHP tips,  although  you kind of
substantiated the learning curve argument! :)

php. ini - isn't this used when you start PHP? I don't think I have
access to this on shared hosting.

Cheers

Ian