[thelist] CVS server specs

Paul Bennett Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz
Tue Sep 13 18:59:32 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I've been put 'in charge' of setting up a CVS server to allow us to have a code repository for a medium sized government site.

The code and content is about 1.6 - 2GB in total. What I need to know is what quality of machine we'll need to run CVS.

1. We'll likely be using a leased desktop machine (due to internal requirements) to host the code and the software. Will this be grunty enough? (2Ghz 512Mb RAM 40Gb HDD)

2. Do open source CVS solutions run only on *Nix boxes? Our pcs come installed with XP and it will be a 'challenge' to allow IT to let me blow the OS away to install a *nix distro. That being said, I've also never actually administered a *nix server.....

Any advice welcome. Please :)
Paul