[thelist] CSS Book

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 07:42:55 CDT 2005

On 9/16/05, iris <thelist at jarmin.com> wrote:
> At 16:54 16/09/05 +1000, you wrote:
> >What I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book (or another
> >resource) that sets out and describes all the various features. But
> >something targeted at someone who already knows there ay around...
>
> i find rachael andrew's 'the css anthology: 101 essential tips, tricks and
> hacks' really useful.  it doesn't show you how to do zen garden designs
> (for that you should get the zen garden book) but i found it to be a really
> handy reference for when i want to look up how to do rounded corners or
> tabbed navigation... covers positioning and layout too.
> here's the review:
> http://books.slashdot.org/books/05/01/28/214237.shtml?tid=189&tid=156&tid=6
>
> if you want more get dave shea's 'the zen of css design'

Just a quick reminder:

CSS is not a design replacement, CSS is a wonderful tool to create
flexible, beautiful web sites that can grow and change constantly.
This is something that the CSS Zen Garden and the CSS Zen Garden book
does not explain properly.

In the dirty money driven web development world you need to know CSS
that can style markup you cannot control - as it is created by CMS or
backend tools - and you cannot rely on lots of IDs, extra DIVs or
other things that make the work on a CSS Zen Garden design a lot
easier.

I released a CSS Table gallery last week:
http://www.icant.co.uk/csstablegallery/ with that in mind, and keep
getting submissions that replace almost every element with images.
This is not what CSS is about, as it does not ease maintenance or make
it flexible for the visitor, something CSS is very good at.

Therefore, if you want to learn CSS that you can use in ANY web
development environment - from blog to ecommerce platform - from 5
page brochureware to multilingual portal - Dan Cederholm's Bullet
Proof CSS and Web Standards Solutions are wonderful helpers. Together
with "Don't make me think" by Steve Krug and this one as a grim
reminder:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805075755/103-0217492-8512640?v=glance

--
Chris Heilmann