[thelist] Unwanted flash background in Explorer 5.5 and 5.0

Roberto Gorjão roberto at castelosnoar.com
Sun Sep 18 12:40:00 CDT 2005

Olá a todos!

I’m facing a strange problem with flash… I’ve created a flash menu for
this site and I would like to place it in a div, just over some
alternative content that I’m going to create still. It works fine in
Firefox, also in IE 6.0, but, in IE 5.0 and 5.5, the background black
colour of the flash movie seems to expand itself and cover the whole
background of the page. The problem disappears if I use the parameter
wmode and set it to transparent… but, in that case, I wouldn’t be able
to provide an alternative content because it would be visible right
through my movie… Well, it just hit me that I can provide a fake
background and solve the problem… Nevertheless, I would like to know if
anybody knows the root of this problem and how to solve it elegantly… or
if I’m just missing something evident.

I’ve uploaded a page which samples the problem:
http://www.oficinadoouro.com/wmodewindow.htm
I’m using Flash Object by Geoff Stearns to embed the flash movie. I also
used the wmode parameter set to window to try to contain the movie, but
it doesn’t work: I get the same result without it.

The CSS rules are here:
http://www.oficinadoouro.com/CSS/CSSextract.css
One thing funny though is that if we use the vertical scroll the problem
disappears and the true background reappears. That’s why I’ve commented
the overflow rule in the body selector - so IE 5 shows the scroll and
you can test it.

To see how the page should render, just open it in IE 6.0, Firefox or Opera.

Obrigado pela vossa atenção!

Roberto Gorjão