[thelist] Site check: Staples.com

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Mon Sep 19 23:30:30 CDT 2005

Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> Obviously, the current "Webmaster" (and I use the term loosely) hasn't
> made much of a Web site, and hasn't mastered much of anything.

While I agree with your criticisms, it seems a bit far to make such
harsh judgements considering that they're running an absolutely huge
retail corporate site, and considering the strides they have made -
their site was a mash of nested tables only a couple months ago when I
last browsed.  They're the closest office-supply place to me, so I
obviously don't need cookies either to check if they carry a certain
item.  But probably their team got an imperative from higher-ups that
all site visitors need to have every single movement within the site
tracked, and they're using cookies to do it.  I'm sure if they got
enough complaints, those same higher-ups would issue an imperative to
get rid of the cookies effective yesterday... :)

I posted about the site because I thought there was some massive problem
with their AFAIK recent code improvements that made the page rendering
hosed.  In the end it was (for me anyway) caused by a third-party
extension to my browser.   I really should have changed "Site check" to
"reality check".  I hope this doesn't start another battle a la the
font-size vs screen resolution issue.  My bad.

--
Max Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/