[thelist] Site check: Staples.com

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Tue Sep 20 19:08:53 CDT 2005

Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> Google also indexes a lot of formats that simply aren't appropriate for
> use on the World Wide Web due to their closed, proprietary nature (MSN,

It's now inappropriate to publish any closed proprietary format material
on the web?

That universities publishing lecture notes can't do so in
Keynote/Powerpoint?

That small contacts db applications (not that I would want to use such a
thing) can't be published as an Access database?

That an executable can't be published, because it won't run natively on
another OS?

That a graphics company can't publish template resources in Photoshop or
Illustrator format?

That a publishing/printing company can't publish templates in InDesign
format?

These are all - blanket statement - INAPPROPRIATE for any publishing on
the web?

That's a pretty extreme 'open source' view. And it's ... rather unrealistic.