[thelist] Wireless security

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Wed Sep 21 04:12:49 CDT 2005

This is true. It's really a question of opportunity. I disable DHCP
mainly because I use another program which configures my system based on
the network I specify.

> I probably should turn on WEP (my WAP doesn't do WPA) but I
> had problems before with WEP. Do people really do packet
> sniffing to residential wireless networks? Do they park their
> cars in front of folks' houses and sniff away?

You never know. I can't imagine so. I know that it /is/ a bigger problem
in apartment complexes, particularly high rises, and other high density
accommodation.

Random side note: most wireless networks found by Intel Proset/Wireless
(which finds unbroadcast networks, but doesn't give you their SSID to
connect to automatically) near my office: 38 simultaneous. Anyone able
to beat that?

Robert