[thelist] Wireless security

Jon Haworth jon at clarity-computing.com
Wed Sep 21 13:17:53 CDT 2005

John,

> > Do people really do packet sniffing to residential wireless
> > networks? Do they park their cars in front of folks' houses
> > and sniff away?
>
> Sounds like you're thinking of detached housing. I'm living more
> densely than that, so there are the neighbours .. I'm thinking the
> signal would probably reach maybe six different others [...]

FWIW: We live on a terraced street and can usually pick up half a dozen of our neighbours' access points from our house. I know for a fact that ours is reachable (albeit over a pretty bad connection) from five doors down.

Well over half the access points I see are completely unsecured, as other people have pointed out all you need to do is put *something* in the way to stop the opportunists.

Cheers
Jon