[thelist] download complete verification

Sales @ Lycosa sales at lycosa.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 17:51:28 CDT 2005

>This is where you say "it's not that simple"  :-)
LOL

>Your client is banking on the actions of an unknown and *untrusted*
>user-agent (FTP client) to confirm the completion of a transaction.
>Bad idea.
I agree.

>One possibility is to require the customer to download your own
>tailored downloader which then handles the entire process, and will
>return confirmation if the download completes successfully.

Yes, that is a good idea. Although the system I have developed already
incorporates online serial number and product key generation, emailed to
the user. They enter this at a challenge box within the app. once it has
been installed, and it is verified with the online database.

The only problem is where the download fails, so this would be a good
solution. So long as the downloader app. was downloaded and installed
correctly, it can store customer data (and IP address) and repeat the
download as often as is necessary.

The problem is, I am skilled at php/mysql, but not so hot on VB/C++ etc.
Any recommendations or help with this would be... a help. (I started
writing that sentence, and I hate going back!)

>FWIW!
Worth quite a bit, actually. Thanks :-)

Phil
www.lycosa.co.uk