[thelist] download complete verification

Jeff Wilhelm thelist at summit7solutions.com
Wed Sep 21 21:47:41 CDT 2005

Phil,

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. We've been distributing
the software over the internet for quite awhile now, and by forcing the user
to give us the generated code it lets us not only track the user, but the
unlock code we give as a result can be tailored to only unlock specific
components, for specific durations, etc...

I don't think we're doing anything particularly new or innovative, and I
don't think there are any real legal issues. As long as there is an EULA
they click through somewhere (whether before the download or during install)
I think you're fine.

We offer multiple distribution methods (FTP / Web Link / CD-ROM...) but all
end up with the exact same software product being installed, and a unique
code being generated. I think the code is based off a couple of things (MAC
address, date time, maybe a few other things) but I'd have to ask the
developers to be sure.

When we give them the unlock license code it is in XML format but there is a
long fingerprint of sorts that is a checksum of all the XML data so it would
fail if the XML was modified (i.e.: someone tried to alter the code to
extend the license etc...). Also, our software does NOT automatically call
home at all, so there is no privacy concerns from the user. In fact it can
be run on a system not connected to the internet, as long as the serial
number that is generated is somehow transmitted to us (via some other
computer's web browser is fine) and the license we generate is copied to
that computer.

Jeff