[thelist] strange css quirk with width on UL (IE 5.5 only)

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Fri Sep 23 00:21:31 CDT 2005

Hey folks, I'm experiencing an unexpected result when applying a width to a
UL element with CSS in IE 5.5 (on Win2k).

I've put up a simple test page here to demonstrate the issue:
http://milsweb.f2o.org/exp/list-test.html

Essentially, when a width is applied to the element, instead of the entire
block of text in the LI being indented, only the first line is.

Note, I checked this in IE 5.5, Opera 7.5 and Firefox 1.0.2 and it only
occurs in IE. Does it also occur in IE 6+?

Anyone encountered this before? Have ideas on why it's happening and/or how
to prevent it?

Thanks.
-marc