[thelist] Blog Submitter Pro - useful tool or annoying spam?

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 04:11:42 CDT 2005

Anthony Ettinger wrote:
> Comment spamming is not really something that is
> recommended you do. Any of those "submit it pro"
> packages for $99.95 is crap anyway.

Yes, quite agree. There are two things that occur to me about this:

1. Comment spam is one of the saddest things to happen to the web in a
while - it really attacks the community aspect of personal publishing. I
think it's actually worse than email spam because it's vandalising the
web site in question, and many people are affected by the consequences.

2. There is becoming little point in the technique for SEO because
increasing numbers of blog packages and page authors implement various
techniques to prevent the links from bestowing PageRank on the spammed URLs.

e.g. putting the attribute rel="nofollow" on link tags

(c.f. http://www.google.com/webmasters/bot.html tip 14)

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net BETA - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets online
http://snippetz.net