[thelist] Tip for Everyone to Enjoy

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Fri Sep 23 05:03:53 CDT 2005

Hershel Robinson wrote:
> /tip subject="thelist and Search Engines" author="Hershel Robinson"/
> Be careful when you post not-yet-public URLs to thelist. You may get
> more than you bargained for.

Two possible easy ways around this:

1. Use a list-shortening service such as tinyurl or url123.com.  After
the thread is more-or-less dead, you can disable the link via the
tinyurl or url123 service and/or require password authentication to
access it.

2. Use basic authentication on your development site, with an extremely
simple user/pass that you include in the body of the list email (e.g.
"evolt").  Once I started doing this with my clients' dev sites, I
stopped seeing the spider traffic.

My tuppenceworth.

--
Max Schwanekamp