[thelist] Printing a CSS background color

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 08:51:19 CDT 2005

On 9/23/05, Andrew Kamm <akamm at demicooper.com> wrote:
> I've setup a page that needs to print as it appears on screen, but
> unfortunately I can't get css defined background colors to print. I've tried
> setting media type to "all" and to "print," but am not having luck.
>
> I have been able to see other properties change depending on the media type
> I define, so that seems to be working, but the browsers don't want to print
> the background color.
>
> I'm on a Mac and Firefox is fine, but IE and Safari aren't working.
>
> Any ideas on this?

It is more of a system/browser setting than CSS related. By default
backgrounds are not printed. You could do a screenshot and print that.

In IE/Win you can set it to print background colours/images:
http://www.wait-till-i.com/index.php?p=19

I haven't MSIE installed on my mac. Why bother?

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com