[thelist] Is this a list?

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 03:23:27 CDT 2005

aardvark wrote:

> except IE blows that away by not properly supporting it...

Sorry, but IE on Windows supports label with for="id" absolutely fine.
What issues are you referring to?

> also, if you do wrap the form element and its label text within the
> <label>, the id is no longer necessary -- it's implied...

The reason for adding the for="id" is that without it - even if the form
control is nested inside the label - IE Win does not make the label
clickable.

For accessibility for people with poor motor control, it is important to
give them the ability to click on the label text to check or uncheck the
checkbox. This is why for accessibility the label with for="id" is a
requirement, not an optional extra.

Nest the form control if you like, or not - it has no practical
implications in real-world accessibility. I showed them separately to
illustrate the structure that would apply within a table or in other
situations where markup separated the form control and label; the point
being precisely that the nesting doesn't matter.

A final note in agreement with a point someone else made - there's a lot
more to accessibility than WCAG; much of it is now out of date, and it
does not adequately explain how to achieve real-world results.

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net BETA - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets online
http://snippetz.net