[thelist] Firefox Problem

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Tue Sep 27 08:01:22 CDT 2005

David,

> http://www.ahavaschesed.net/AnotherTest.html
>
> If someone can view it in Explorer and Firefox, I
> would appreciate any ideas on how to get the latter to
> display it more like Explorer does (at least getting
> the middle and right sections higher without lowering
> the left one AND without making Explorer show it
> worse).

Well, the HTML here is what is sometimes referred to as 'tag soup'
meaning that it is not organized in an easily-understood fashion and
that not all tags are closed correctly. Furthermore, this page is built
with nested <tables> and uses an imagemap, two technologies which can be
difficult to work with.

The general thrust in web development today is to try to separate
information from presentation, meaning to separate the information being
presented, i.e. the words and images, from the actual layout on a
person's screen (or whatever device he is using).

To be honest, the code here is quite a mess and I would first suggest
that you obtain a simple CSS-based-layout template and then put your
HTML data into it (each section into the correct section of the HTML
template) without using tables for layout. I would venture to say
(without hesitation) that while there will be a learning curve, in the
end, this method will save you a lot of development time and headaches
along the way.

For links and ideas about CSS-layout, see here:
http://csszengarden.com/

 From there (and from this list) you can find another few hundred sites
with more information and tutorials.

The list of links along the left, for example, could be represented much
more easily by a simple HTML unordered list. They would then be
accessible to more visitors and they could styled any way you want via
appropriate CSS and they would be easily extensible (or reduced). See
here for examples:

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

Overall, seeing as this appears to be a complete rewrite of your
existing site, I would strongly suggest you consider making the
investment in doing it correctly initially.

Feel free to contact me off-list.

All the best,
Hershel Robinson
Tsfat, Israel