[thelist] Opinions and Comments on Browser Embedded WYSIWYG Editors (WAS Aren't we forgetting a user group in our CSS? Idea:EditorStylesheet)

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 04:02:19 CDT 2005

> Yes, but there are many good editors out there, probably it'll be more
> fruitful to participate in a project than reboot again.

I agree, but what I try to build is an article editor which works in
all DOM-enabled browsers, not just the ones that support the
contenteditable property. And AFAIK there is no such initiative.

Although the necessity of it is another issue:
According to my web stats Opera users constitute less than 1% of my
traffic. (8-10 percent Mozilla, which is good :) ; around 90 percent
IE and 1-2 percent all the rest).

So people will be happy with the WYSIWYG editors that work in
mozilla-based browsers and IE (which make up about 96-99% of my
incoming web traffic)

Will I be happy? Certainly not. But that's me and just me.

I know that we cannot support every single browser on earth. But,
imho, at least equal opportunuties should be given to all the browsers
that fully support DOM.

> Also, it would help to get to know the audience before developing a
> tool that works to our values and ideas, but doesn't get used.

I completely agree. And if I aim to have a financial gain, I sure will
conduct a marketing research of some kind before I get my hands dirty.

Anyway, here is my first DOM TextEditor prototype:

http://www.sarmal.com/sardalya/testcase/TextEditor_Test.html

(the load may be slow, because the page includes a lot of unecessary
code since it is in development.)

As I've mentioned above, since the Editor is for my personal liking I
don't very much care whether it may be accepted by my target audience
or not.

As a matter of fact, my target audience are (generally) Turkish
developers who know adequate English (because of it my site's primary
language is English, althouhg my homepage is in Turkish to attract
native audience)
and other non-native techy-minded developers.

Thus they may like it, use it for some other purpose (template
management or some other useful stuff, who knows).

Anyway I appreciate your comments and opinions on the editor.

May be an idea will pull it from a techy-minded perspective to a more
reasonable ground where average web user may utilize.

TIA,
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/