[thelist] Apache: SSL and Virtual hosts

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Thu Sep 29 07:32:34 CDT 2005

At 07:31 AM 2005-09-29, you wrote:
>Maybe only different ports, not a whole IP.

That's do able, I just find it a bit clumsy to type in. I set my server up
this way

Currently, I map all my domains as such: If the domain is
www.tidysflowers.com/ I use the host file to map test.tidysflowers.com.

Here's what I've done this morning:

Host file:
127.0.0.1               localhost
127.0.0.2               localhost
127.0.0.2               test.tidysflowers.com

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.2:80>
         DocumentRoot /htdocs/tidysflowers.com
         ServerName test.tidysflowers.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.2:443>
         DocumentRoot /htdocs/tidysflowers.com
         ServerName test.tidysflowers.com
</VirtualHost>

Note that in my ssl.conf virtual host, I have changed

         <VirtualHost _default_:443> to <VirtualHost *:443>

and I have commented out the DocumentRoot directive, so that the one in my
regular .conf file can over-ride on a per-domain basis.

It sends me to the correct page, but chokes on the following error (FireFox
flavour)
    "test.tidysflowers.com has sent an incorrect or unexpected message.
Error Code: -12281"

Mind you the certificate is for 127.0.0.1 and I haven't generated a new one
for 127.0.0.2

I'll keep trying later, but let me know if you have any interesting ideas
towards this. I think this might be a workable solution for myself and many
others, if I can get it up and running.

Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.