[thelist] Greasemonkey gmail

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Sat Oct 1 08:50:24 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 3:13 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Greasemonkey gmail

Gmail seems to have stopped showing me ads by itself. I've been using
it since last November. For the last few months, I've been signed in
20 hours plus a week. In all this time, I've never once clicked on an
ad.

That's interesting, I don't see what could properly be called ads either
reading Gmail with the web interface. I usually pick it up through POP
though and download locally, never an ad that way. On the web, there's
zero "extra" information until reading an email, then there are "related
links", and some of them are pretty darn good ones. For instance,
reading a message from the php-objects mailing list, you get links like
this pagead2.googlesyndication.com:

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/pageclick?client=ca-gmail&type=0&channel=AccountAge120toInfinity&redir_url=http://www.php-csl.com/snippets/index.php%3Fcat_select%3DRegular_Expressions

which lands you to a nice little reference to bookmark. If there was
time, it would be interesting to feed the machine a different diet from
different accounts to see what happens.

cheers,

        Mark