[thelist] Is this a list?

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Sun Oct 2 00:15:40 CDT 2005

Most anecdotal evidence I read with a bit of Googling suggested it was
much more likely to be an issue with that of 90% of dotcom era
companies:

Business model? What's that? We're on the internet! Give us VC money!

"People can see how they connect to each other!"
"That's great. How do /you/ propose to make money off of it?"
"Err, umm... You're forgetting! It's so cool! It's like one world, man!"
"That office you're renting in Silicon Valley isn't cheap, nor is that
team of programmers you have working round the clock!"
"It'll be cool! Once we IPO, everyone will want a piece of this! You
could see how you're related to famous people!"

*clunk* *crash* *file bankruptcy*

Seems a little more likely than:

"Sir, our stats indicate that 1.3%* of people on the `net surf with
Javascript disabled!"
"What? Fire that incompetent web designer! *cries into hands* We're
doomed, doomed! We had the next killer idea, and now because of
someone's stupidity, it's all going to be for nothing!"

* note: random, arbitrary number chosen, and probably on the high side

Robert