[thelist] Is this a list?

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Mon Oct 3 07:40:25 CDT 2005

Et al,

I hate to jump into such a lively conversation, but I can't pass this one
up.  While I appreciate the complexity of what everyone is saying, this
particular argument strikes a nerve.  I would argue that HTML/CSS is far
more broken than JavaScript and Flash.

The example are numerous, but I feel as if I must state at least one
example.  Basic form validation can be accomplished so that it works on
every modern (ala 5 years or more recent) JavaScript Enabled Browser (JEB)
with no uncatchable errors.  But, even the latest and greatest version of IE
has CSS bugs that torture developers into applying hacks and/or skipping
designs that simply cannot be created because of the lack of functionality.
I would go so far as to say that a typical website that employs both CSS and
JS has far more Duct Tape (tm) on the CSS than it has on the JS.

<tip type="Internet Explorer" author="Joshua Olson">
The team that is responsible for Internet Explorer has a blog covering IE7.
It is a very interesting read.  They promise lots of CSS fixes in the next
major release:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/
</tip>

Joshua L. Olson
WAE Tech Inc.
http://www.waetech.com/
Phone: 706.210.0168
Fax: 413.812.4864

Monitor bandwidth usage on IIS6 in real-time:
http://www.waetech.com/services/iisbm/