[thelist] Is this a list?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 3 12:36:54 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 08:40 -0400, Joshua Olson wrote:
> I hate to jump into such a lively conversation, but I can't pass this
> one up.  While I appreciate the complexity of what everyone is saying,
> this particular argument strikes a nerve.  I would argue that HTML/CSS
> is far more broken than JavaScript and Flash.

Huh? This doesn't make any sense.

> The example are numerous, but I feel as if I must state at least one
> example.  Basic form validation can be accomplished so that it works
> on every modern (ala 5 years or more recent) JavaScript Enabled
> Browser (JEB) with no uncatchable errors.

However, it's way too easy to fall into the trap of "everything has
Javascript" and thus, to not even bother testing without Javascript, and
not implement server-side form validation as well.

> But, even the latest and greatest version of IE has CSS bugs that
> torture developers into applying hacks and/or skipping designs that
> simply cannot be created because of the lack of functionality.

Huh?

You said "HTML/CSS is far more broken than Javascript or Flash".

I think you really meant to say "IE's implementation of HTML/CSS is far
more broken than its implementation of Javascript or the Windows Flash
plug-in".

Mozilla (including Firefox) gets it mostly right.
Opera gets it mostly right from what I have seen. Konqueror gets it
mostly right (older versions have had glaring bugs that have since been
fixed). Safari, I would assume, gets it mostly right (I don't run MacOS
X). I would assume most other browsers that don't cheat and use the IE
rendering engine get it right too.

Yes, IE is a horribly broken piece of junk. Thanks for the heads-up.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>