[thelist] Printing in IE breaks CSS layout

Mike evolt at muinar.com
Thu Oct 6 05:03:40 CDT 2005

At 10:59 06.10.2005 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>The printing preview in IE (6.0/Win here) breaks apart this layout:
>
>http://muinar.com/ctr/
>
>The page is 720px wide, centered, and consists basically of two
>columns. Other sites, like for instance http://muinar.com/ , have
>also two columns, are centered and 720px wide, but don't break
>apart when printed in IE.
>
>What could be the reason for this? And what can be done to fix
>the layout so that it isn't broken? I'd prefer that something is
>cut away at the right side, when the printing area is narrower
>than the page.

Just made a test page at http://muinar.com/ctr/home-test.php with
the 3 logos floating, and in IE one of them jumps to the next line
in print preview.

The left nav bar is exactly 150px (border included), and each of the
3 images 190px, measured in a screenshot. The containing div is set
to 720px. And the whole contruction is actually 720px wide, not 1 px
more.

When I set one of the 3 pics to 189px instead of 190, the layout
doesn't break anymore when printing.

Any insights anyone - ?

Thanks alot, Mike

_____  mike s. krischker  http://webdesign-schweiz.ch/