[thelist] RE: Javascript - New Window + Search Function - Still not

Tim Kuhn TKuhn at thecreek.com
Mon Oct 10 10:43:49 CDT 2005

 You had some syntax errors in your script,  such as mismatched {}.
Compare this version with what you had and you will see what I mean.

//<![CDATA[

<!--
function startSearch()
  {
  	searchString = document.searchForm.searchText.value;

		if(searchString!= "")
			{
  		 searchEngine =
document.searchForm.whichEngine.selectedIndex + 1;
			 finalSearchString = "";
			}

      if(searchEngine == 1)
        {
        	finalSearchString =
"http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&what=web&q=" +
searchString;
      	}

  //Several other "if's" here...

    if(searchEngine == 18)
      {
    		finalSearchString =
"http://de.search.yahoo.com/search/de?p=" + searchString;
			}
   location.href = finalSearchString;

	}

//-->
//]]>

</script>

Hi.

Thanks very much for the reply. Unfortunately I can't seem to get this
to work right (told you I was a dummy at this). I keep getting "syntax
error" or "object expected", which probably means something small is
missing or out of place.

Archives: http://lists.evolt.org

End of thelist Digest, Vol 32, Issue 14