[thelist] Syntax Highlighting

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Fri Oct 14 05:45:41 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 20:48 -0700, Jeff Howden wrote:
> Listees,
>
> I'm working on a personal project that involves *lots* of source code
> being displayed online.  Standard fixed-width, black text on a white
> background just isn't going to cut it here.  I've already got things
> like line numbering, wrapping of lone lines, etc. taken care of.
> However, there's one remaining, complex issue I've yet to find (or
> build, but yuck) a solution for.  I need to be able to have the source
> code displayed with syntax highlighting.  Optimally, it should be as
> close as possible to the default syntax highlighting in Macromedia's
> Homesite+.

You should at least take a look at Vim <http://www.vim.org> which has an
option to convert to HTML. From the little I've tested it out, the HTML
will resemble whatever is showing in your vim/gvim/evim window,
including syntax highlighting. I have no idea how Homesite highlights
source, so I can't speak for how close Vim's highlighting comes to that,
but I do know the highlighting is fully customizable.

The only disadvantage I know of, is that you would have to convert the
files one at a time.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>