[thelist] OT: Font Recommendation?

Mark Howells webdev at mountain.ch
Fri Oct 14 08:21:51 CDT 2005

>>> I'm looking for a really elegant, but corporate type font--sans
>>> serif-- to create an image.
>
>> Depends on the required text size and output medium, to be honest.
>> Lucida Grande is standard but very readable and I use it a lot for
>> body text.
>
> Lucida Grande seems to be rather rare on windoze:
> http://www.codestyle.org/css/font-family/sampler-WindowsResults.shtml

True, but this is being used to create an image, and can easily be
downloaded.

http://www.linotype.com/6-1825-6/lucidafamily.html

I always use other alternative fonts when setting the CSS font-family
declaration, often Lucida Sans Unicode. (Don't take the examples on
www.codestyle.org as examples as they're not anti-aliased, most fonts
look infinitely better with anti-aliasing on and have differing
characteristics at various sizes.

Regards
Mark Howells
www.permanenttourist.ch