[thelist] Securing a Web Application

Dena Marchant dmarchand at verizon.net
Thu Oct 20 12:10:09 CDT 2005

I will check out the resources mentioned.

To be a bit more specific, while I want to develop better knowledge of
overall
security issues and best practices in this area, I also need to know how to
correctly
handle user login.

Is it enough to check username and password against:
1.  values in a database and using a stored procedure
2. values in a file

Is there a better way?  On a scale of 1 to 5, level of  security needed
would be 3 or 4.

Thanks again for your help.