[thelist] quirks mode question

pandy pandion at gmx.net
Sat Oct 22 11:22:51 CDT 2005

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
>Working on an internal project that runs on an old Epicentric portal
>installation. The pages have
>no DTD, so in IE6 the pages load in quirks mode.
>
>I've got a vertical UL styled using the tantek hack, like so:
>
>#svmp_vert ul a {
>/*other rules*/
>width: 156px;
>voice-family: "\"}\"";
>voice-family:inherit;
>width: 140px; }
>
>Among other rules of course. When I test the page in Mozzy, IE5-6 on it's
>own, it's all good. When
>I upload it to the portal however, the page breaks. It looks as if I
>didn't use any box hack at
>all, and all the widths are off (as in toos short). It's as if it sees the
>hack and applies the
>shorter width, but it really ought to be applying the first width.
>
>Anyone have an idea what might be going on? Can't show a page since it's
>internal, but the test
>page is at:
>
>http://www.pixelmech.com/rev/menu.html

There is no Tantek hack in that page. There are a lot of star html rules
though. Problem is you use them wrongly. You feed the smaller width to IE
and the larger one to "good browsers", making the discrepancy even larger.
For example this one (rule shortened):

#svmp_vert ul ul a {
display: block;
padding: 2px 8px 2px 18px;
width: 156px; }

* html #svmp_vert ul ul a {width: 130px;}

IIRC you should protect IE Mac from the star html hack too.

pandy