[thelist] OT - How to work freelance on a global scale.

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 02:31:31 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I'll jump straight into the question:

I currently work as a J2EE architect in a large corporation and earn
pretty good amount of money (okay, I cannot yet buy myself a Ferrari
but my salary gives me an adequte living standard)

Though I will be psychologically better off if I work for my own: I
hate wearing ties. I hate tying ties :) I don't like working from 9am
to 6pm five days on a regular basis.
Besides I have a quite irregular sleep cycle and I don't like sleeping
too much (no I'm not an ubersleeper - the favorite discussion in
blogosphere nowadays)
I don't like being routine (If you've grasped the air of corporate
culture you know what I mean). I want to research, apply new (and
sometimes dangerous things), which the top level managers would not
disagree because it's risky, it has not been tried by other apriori,
it is not "what they have been doing for years".

I want to be (and I like to be) innovative in short.

So, I think a freelance position suits much better to my personality.

And after I settle down a few things in my life (which may take around
two or so years), I may consider doing my own business.

Given that some portion of this list is composed of freelancers &
owners/bosses of their own job who are excellent in what they do, I
want to ask everyone:

1. What are the pros and cons of being a freelancer / small business
owner (financially, time-scedule, stress and deadlines etc)

2. What are the ways to advertise yourself on the net, so that people
know that you are doing some good business at a reasonable price.

3. What is an average hourly rate for a freelance position (do not
respond to this if you wish, or respond off-topic. I guess that as
ones reputation increases so does their income)

4. How the money transaction and agreements go back and forth internationally
(like I send a fax to them describing project specs and timing, they
sign it and send a fax back to me... just guessing. Or is there
another way to do it?)

5. How are the legal issues overcomed? (say my client refuses to pay
money, but I have half the work done to them, how can I claim my
money)

6. Is it a good decision to reduce the risk by starting up 2-3
colleagues rather than taking my lance and fighting alone. (humm,
that's why it's freelance, free - lance, never thought of it before).

7. Anything else that I forgot?

Both your on-the-list and off-list responses are highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/