[thelist] xml is good for...?

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Tue Oct 25 04:14:59 CDT 2005

Jeremy Weiss scribeva in 2005-10-25 08:27:
> I'm planning out a new cook/recipe website
> * exactly what advantage would implementing XML offer me?

Just a quick thought, possibly inaccurate but in that case I count on
someone pointing that out :-) XML is at its best when computer programs
need to exchange information, especially when humans could be editing
the exchanged files. Like web server software passing a xhtml file to
browser software. Or your web app asking stock prices from a web service.

So for your recipe site use of XML would be especially advisable if that
site communicates with other software: pulling recipes from other recipe
databases, giving recipe rss-feeds, ...

> * and where, in the site/database/etc. would I implement it?

Where you site needs to receive or send recipes. You'd store the data in
you MySQL db, and convert the query results to XML when needed.

.k