[thelist] OT - How to work freelance on a global scale.

Jon Haworth jon at clarity-computing.com
Tue Oct 25 08:40:21 CDT 2005

Kasimir,

I think you make some great points, but for me one of them stands out a mile. Every new freelancer (probably every freelancer) should print this out and stick it on their monitor:

> To reduce risk minimize cost.

Of course this doesn't mean not spending money - you don't reduce your risk by not hiring a lawyer to review your contracts, for example - but IMHO this is a fantastic principle by which to run a business.

A few things I'd like to add to your list:

1. Get an accountant. The first time I did my tax return it cost me nothing but took me two days. Give it to an accountant, though, and it frees up two more days for billing clients (not to mention that the accountant may well find enough extra savings to offset his fee).

2. Look for local support. There are groups of freelancers who meet up once a month for lunch or a drink - not just good for the social aspect, but also for the networking and cross-selling opportunities.

3. Ask for business. Tell your friends and family you're setting up, they'll be happy to recommend you whenever they can. Carry business cards everywhere, and give them out liberally. Let previous employers know you're available freelance (assuming you still have a good relationship with them ;-)

4. Treat your clients right. "That's not a problem" should be your mantra. Word-of-mouth recommendations from existing customers are like solid gold, and a happy client will often send a constant stream of business your way.

Cheers
Jon