[thelist] Selling over the internet - UK law

Sales @ Lycosa sales at lycosa.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 18:32:45 CDT 2005

>The question I'd ask, were I your client, is how could my developer
give me
a website that allows me to sell a product for no price, and can/should
hold him liable for this oversight.

I will offer a sweetener to my client, and put in a failsafe asap.
Whilst I won't officially accept responsibility, I value the
relationship with my client.

>So I'd say you can take away a couple things from this situation:
1. Do you have a limitation/exemption of liability clause in your
contract?
If you don't, do you see where it might come in handy?
2. As part of best practice development, should you allow "incomplete"
product entries to be displayed on a public site? If not, what steps are

you going to put in place to prevent this from happening?

Absolutely, you make a very good point. I am sure it won't go to court,
but it is so worth adding to my contracts for future clients in case any
other issues crop up. I will certainly send my client a list of
modifications I will do asap to ensure this does not happen again.

>Whether you're legally required to or not is a question best answered
by a
lawyer in your area, but I agree with Joshua, the PR cost of not
honouring
the sale is probably not worth the lost revenue.

Indeed. This might even be news worthy, or at least blog worthy. A very
useful PR exercise. If I bear the cost, or offer services to the value,
they might very well go for it. (I am mentally writing the blog now...)

>You could even offer to modify the app to prevent unpriced products
from
being displayed in the future.

Definitely.

Thanks for your comments Marc, very helpful.

Phil
www.lycosa.co.uk
phil.parker at lycosa.co.uk