[thelist] Selling over the internet - UK law

Chris Price chris.price at choctaw.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 20:24:46 CDT 2005

On 25/10/05 10:31 pm, "Sales @ Lycosa" <sales at lycosa.co.uk> wrote:

> Am I right in thinking that, being a genuine mistake, my client is not
> obliged by law to honour the transaction? Can they offer a refund, or to
> sell the product at the right price? Or are they legally bound to sell
> the product at the price paid?

There was a case where Argos advertised TVs on the web for £2.99 instead of
£299. They were able to argue that they were inviting people to place an
order but were only under contract when they had actually accepted the
order.

It would appear that there is no obligation to sell at an advertised price
but the crux of this case is: at what point is the contract entered into by
both parties.

It sounds like a question for a legal expert but, like others have
commented, this one off is probably a PR candidate.

--
Chris Price

Choctaw

chris.price at choctaw.co.uk