[thelist] Selling over the internet - UK law

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Oct 25 20:47:43 CDT 2005

Others have suggested what I would suggest (PR wise)

Legally you should consult a lawyer etc, etc, but the seminal case in
contract is Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots [1953] 1 QB 401
where it was held that placing products on a shelf is an "invitation to
treat" (i.e. enter in negotiations) not an "offer" (the first necessary part
of a contract). Instead, when the customer takes the product to the register
and offers to pay, this is determined to be the "offer", and "acceptance" is
when the vendor determines whether to accept the offered sum of money or not.
Whether this applies in your situation only a court can decide, and a lawyer
can advise, but I believe it does (I've been out of law school a while, but I
haven't heard of any major developments contradicting this old case).

Cheers
Ken