[thelist] xml is good for...?

Tim Kuhn TKuhn at thecreek.com
Thu Oct 27 12:23:55 CDT 2005

>Very nice!  And I've long admired the Getty collection of images.  ;-)

Indeed, a fantastic collection. I contracted there for a year or so and
the shop is top notch technology wise. It was an invaluable experience
for me to work there.

>However, at the end of the day, that link is a retail website.

Yes it is, I have used the same technique for a non-profit environmental
site as well as my own personal photography site. Very low maintenance.

>I'm confident that, (with a little help from my evolt buddies
naturally), I
>could design a comparable site with identical functionality that uses
an
>Oracle, SQL Server, or MySQL backend.

Sure you can, there are many ways this can be accomplished.
.
>Where does the XML provide added value?  Where is the 'coolness' here
>that is specific to XML?  That's what I guess I'm not getting.

The 'coolness' derives from the fact that most of the site's content is
written and updated by non-technical people. Using xml and validating it
against an xsd you can have non-technical people writing the xml. This
way the creative people only have to be creative and not technical. The
linguists don't need to know how to code html, only fill in the xml
template and so on. I'm not saying that xml is the be all and end all,
just that it has it's uses. As I have stated above, there are many ways
to do many things, xml just happens to be a technology that I am quite
familiar and comfortable with.

Tim