[thelist] CF: Entity Annoyances! Baffled!

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Mon Oct 31 13:38:27 CST 2005

My entities are showing up as question marks in FireFox, as "null" symbols
in IE and  in Opera. My first thought is that it's a character encoding
issue, or a font issue. Doesn't seem to be that way but I could be wrong.

My encoding at the top of the page looks like this:

I'm using standard fonts: Arial, sans-serif;

I'm specifically interested in the "registered ", "trademark" and
"copyright" entities.  I'm using ReplaceList to hopefully swap them out.

My in string looks like this: "[list of entities...] #chr("174")#" because
if one changes the encoding of the text document that makes up the script
it might screw things up

My replace string looks like this: "[list of entities...] &reg;"

If I copy and paste the character from my database into my

         ReplaceList("registered ®",char,ent_name)

right in the document, I see the little circle-r. When I look in the
database, I see the circle-r. When I pull it out of the database, no go.

This is the same on Linux or Windsor, and whether the reg symbol comes from
a Mac or a PC. Using CFMX 6 & 7, mysql 3.23 and 4.x

On both DBs the character set is latin1. I'm utterly baffled. Can anyone
see what I might have missed? I can put the code up if you wish, but it's
not all that complicated.

Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.