[thelist] Right click in firefox

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 31 14:49:14 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 00:12 -0500, Robert Vreeland wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm looking for a way to consistently disable the right click in Firefox.

In a Web context, this can't be done reliably, in any browser (but read
on).

> Now before I get a slew of responses asking why or pointing out how 'bad' it
> is, here is the reason why:

> We have a for fee private application that uses the browser for the UI.
> Currently the application only supports IE on the PC,

IE on Windows. PC refers to the hardware, not the OS.

> but we would like to extend the support to Firefox. As stated, it is an
> application and is not a public web site. Additionally, our users
> expect the right click to behave as if it where a desktop application;
> i.e. a contextual application specific menu.

Firefox is free software (as in freedom, or what some give the confusing
label "open source"), so you could always make a custom version and
disable it there, as well as other undesired traces of Web browser
appearance, then use that to launch this application thing. Or you could
even write your own shell around the Gecko rendering engine.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>