[thelist] multiple simultaneous db connections with classic ASP

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Tue Nov 1 08:30:17 CST 2005

> So, I ask you: why are they in different DBMS-databases?

db 1 is our home grown intranet db; MSSQL. db 2 is also an MSSQL db, but
part of a proprietary system I can't currently modify, requiring
completely separate authentication blah blah blah or they'll terminate
our support for the app (this is going away eventually, but not today.)
db 4 (did I mention a fourth db?) is similar, but it's never going away.
Never. db 3 is IBM's DB2 (wait; now I've got 3 = 2) on separate
hardware.

I'm really hoping we can add some critical data in MySQL and Postgresql,
and maybe start using Access, Excel, and plain text files - ooh, and
maybe remote connections to our SFO and Chennai offices  ;)

So, it looks like I'll be using individual connection objects, but I'll
spend some time profiling my queries to be sure they're efficient.

thanks, all

joel