[thelist] Logging stats - excluding robots?

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 12:20:38 CST 2005

David Kaufman wrote:

> Why re-invent this wheel?

Well, one reason for avoiding open source solutions is security
loopholes - I prefer my own, home-grown security loopholes in preference
to sharing the same well-publicised security loopholes as everyone else. :)

Also, the UI for all the solutions I have seen to date really suck
(other than Sean Inman's excellent Mint). In my experience, I have yet
to meet a business type who understood the summary stats that the common
tools provide.

Thirdly, since these sites are database driven, the clients need more than

123 hits   display.asp?c=456

By writing my own integrated tracking, I can resolve that to meaningful
names for them.

> Try http://www.awstats.org/

But having said all that, thanks for the heads up on this one; I'll
certainly look at it.

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net BETA - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets online
http://snippetz.net