[thelist] Project Management

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Tue Nov 1 17:22:23 CST 2005

What is everyone using for project management?  Historically I've been
using Basecamp, which is great but sometimes a bit too simplistic for
larger projects.  It's very useful to be able to add priority levels and
some sort of progress value to different tasks, and to filter
tasks/projects/etc according to that priority level.  Basecamp does not
offer this, so I've been trialling with dotProject which is more
sophisticated, but it has quite a lot of quirks and the documentation is
largely fee-based (!), plus it is slooowww, at least on my server.   So,
what do you use?  I'm open to both desktop and web apps, free or fee.
Some basic requirements are:
Multiple companies/clients
Multiple projects per client
Projects should be task-oriented
Tasks can be prioritized, and filtered according to priority level
Some sort of grouping of tasks (e.g. Milestone + To-Do list, Task +
Child Tasks, or...?)
Project Messaging, preferably can tie messages to a particular milestone
or task
Web-accessible reporting of some sort, so client can view project progress
Reasonably easy learning curve (which AFAIK knocks MS Project out of the
running), especially on client/non-tech side

Suggestions?
--
Max Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/