[thelist] site check (accessibility)

Eike Pierstorff eikes.lists at dynamique.de
Wed Nov 2 09:54:34 CST 2005

Stuart Young schrieb:
 > Looks like you haven't done accesskeys.

Yes. There seems to be some doubt that they are (at least at the moment)
  really useful and it seems that they sometimes can be even harmful. I
finally managed to recruit a blind person for testing and I think I will
base my final decision on her experience.

Stuart Young schrieb:
 > This is a usability issue rather than an accessibility issue, and it
  > is not that bad for a navigation menu - this practice is worst when
it > is the homepage linking to itself.

Christian Heilmann schrieb:
 > A superfluous link _is_ an accessibility issue

No real agreement here but in any case removing the links is not
harmful, so I think I will do this.

Kasimir K schrieb:
 > How about "a visual game requiring flash plugin"?

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Kasimir K schrieb:
 > The the right hand side flashes has one funny side effect: it covers
 > the title-tooltips of Impressum and Weihnukka.

These are positioned divs (which would make a lot more sense if they
looked any different from regular title-'tooltips') and it seems that
flash is always in the foreground. Since none of the follow-up pages has
flash we decided to live with that.

Ian Anderson schrieb:
 > Eike Pierstorff wrote:
 > The fact that the animation on the home page won't stop is an access
 > problem.
 > All animation should stop after a short time.

I'll pass this on to the client and hope he will allow me to do the
right thing (they really like their snowflakes, though). Stopping the
animation would propably also solve the problem of excessive CPU Load.

Ian, thank you for your detailed information on how screenreaders work;
most explanations I've read said something like "screenreaders will
extract the text from the page" and it seems to be a little more
complicated than that. I've also used a tool called "aDesigner" that has
a strangely named feature "blind visualization" which supposedly
emulates the "view" of a screen reader, but aDesigner completly ignored
the Javascript.

Felix Miata schrieb:
 > Too small fonts does not accessibility make. Accessibility starts with
 > readability, which is not what one gets from CSS font size 70% for
 > paragraph text, text smaller than the browser UI.

A man after my own heart... but I'm afraid I'm not at the liberty to
increase font sizes since somebody higher up decided that this will
spoil the design. But the fonts scale reasonably well I think, I hope
that helps.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

-- eike