[thelist] Kinda OT: Where did FUBAR come from?

liorean liorean at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 17:23:05 CST 2005

On 02/11/05, Casey <aspnet at thecrookstons.com> wrote:
> I know what it stands for.. just wondering how it got to be so widely used
> in the development world as the standard fill-in for variables and such.
>
> The first time I heard of it was in Saving Private Ryan.

It just became popular with the wrong (or right?) people at the wrong
(or right?) time, and since then it's stuck. It's got it's benefits in
the way that everybody can understand when you're talking about a
property bar on an object of class foo reading out hte value of a
variable baz. It's in most cases better names than, for example,
method b on an object of class a reading the variable c because single
char names are easy to get messed up when thinking about the problem.

And it's more general than talking about cars of certain brands moving
at different speeds and having different price or something equally
silly as example.
--
David "liorean" Andersson
<uri:http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>