[thelist] Who really turns off JavaScript?

Eike Pierstorff eikes.lists at dynamique.de
Fri Nov 4 11:33:44 CST 2005

Hello Tom,

I know that some schools and other public organizations do not allow
Javascript, but I do not think that's the real problem - the problem
seems to be rather that a lot of public facilities around here run stone
age browsers on antediluvian hardware with legacy operating systems, and
while these machines technically support some sort Javascript they are
unlikely to execute AJAX scripts and stuff like that properly (sometimes
I think some of them might have met the original Ajax while they were
computing the design for that trojan horse thing).

Not all scripts fail gracefully, so this is possibly more annoying than
no Javascript at all. So if your target audience includes the poorer
parts of the population who depend on some kind of public access to the
internet you probably want to be careful with Javascript (or even
advanced CSS). Of course the situation might be different and hopefully
better in the US.

Other than that I can not think of anything that's wrong with Javascript
these days - unless you abuse it to do things that should be done on the
server (security), but that's rather a discussion about good vs bad
script than yes vs no.

-- eike