[thelist] Who really turns off JavaScript? .

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 12:28:22 CST 2005

--- Hal Smith <hsmith at bpu.com> wrote:

> So, if you are in an industry like mine, the Military, and the
> like, JavaScript will be turned off for you by your employer.  Security
> people are just doin' their job to keep us safe......

Really great points, Hal - thanks. I hadn't really thought about 9/11 in that vein. It sure does
seem from a lot of comments too, that people are pretty dubious of the IE/JS combo - and that
would include me.

I use FF, and I don't allow my wife to use IE at home either. We do banking, bill paying online,
etc, and we are able to get it done with FF or Netscape, no problem. The only time I access IE is
at home when I have to hit my remote Outlook e-mail or to test browser compliance for my work -
and same at work.

In FireFox, you can limit what JS can do - and I do that myself in fact. I don't allow window
resizing, moving or status bar hijinks. But none of that, imo, should ever be tied to core
functions of a site, and it doesn't seem to negatively affect any of my browsing, that I can tell.

Tom

http://www.pixelmech.com/

A man spoke frantically into the phone: "My wife is pregnant and her contractions are only two minutes apart"! "Is this her first child?" the doctor asked. "No, you idiot!" the man shouted. "This is her husband!"

Q: What do you call a muddy chicken who crossed the road two times?
A: A dirty double crosser...