[thelist] Who really turns off JavaScript?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 5 17:38:59 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 06:29 -0800, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
> With Ajax gaining popularity and JS being so integral to a lot of what
> we do in the last couple years, I'd really like to get some takes on
> the subject. Web myth or otherwise? You tell me...but I say "myth."

I don't turn off Javascript very often, because by default it's already
off. (I love the NoScript extension to Firefox :-) ) When I do turn it
on, it's on a per-site basis. Sometimes a site like www.example.com gets
turned on if I trust the site. counter.example.com never does.

People do turn off or block Javascript for very valid reasons. The same
goes for any other optional Web browser component including the Flash
movie plugin (Some of the most annoying advertisements I've seen are
Flash; when will people learn "catch them as they are leaving for the
toilet" doesn't work on the Web? That and the silly movies are most of
what I've seen Flash used for, and both I can easily do without.)

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>