[thelist] 301 Redirect or...

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Mon Nov 7 18:03:12 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 16:04 -0600, Pringle, Ron wrote:
> I've just switched over our municipal website from .html files to .asp,
> including completely rebuilding the directory structure and much of the
> content ( on an IIS 5 server).
>
> In some places the content has changed dramatically and in other places, it
> is taken from the old page, but with new sidebar content, etc.
>
> We're talking about 500+ pages of content here.
>
> Should I be creating 301 permanent redirects for main sections of content or
> just let the old links die a peaceful death and wait for the search engines
> to re-index?

This time: make the 301 redirects.

Next time: make URLs that don't need to be changed.

"What makes a cool URI?
A cool URI is one which does not change.
What sorts of URI change?
URIs don't change: people change them."

 --Tim Berners-Lee, Style Guide for Online Hypertext

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>