[thelist] Multilingual Sites: Best approach?

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Mon Nov 7 19:40:01 CST 2005

On 7 Nov 2005 at 14:45, Neal Watkins wrote:

> What is the best way to get the actual content in different languages?
>
> Just pay one professional translator/organization?

i've been trying very hard not to get into this thread, lest it sound
like i am pimping my services... but i do have a good deal of
experience localizing sites for different markets (that's more than
just translations)...

last year i spoke at the TOevolt conference (http://toevolt.org/) and
presented on the topic of locatalization and internationalization...
while my presentation was really intended to be heard (my jokes were
many and lame), i did create slides for the presentation, which you
can grab here:
	http://roselli.org/adrian/presentations/toevolt.asp

it's obviously very general, but there are some examples and
statistics in there...

i also co-wrote an article for Multilingual Coomputng & Technology
magazine, which you can download here:
http://algonquinstudios.com/Home/Tech/ContentManagementandLocalization

it's from May 2002, but it may offer some insight into issues we
dealth with that you might encounter...

the most recent issue of same magazine has a series of articles
dealing with how to ensure multilingual sites enjoy high pagerank in
localized search engines...

finally, look for a translation company that has relationships with
in-country translators who are familiar with the industry for which
you are looking for translations... just knowing both languages isn't
enough... i can't speak accountant, so i wouldn't try to translate
from Spanish into it...

and there you go...

this where i would now mention all the localization services that
algonquin studios offers... but i won't take up your valuable time...