[thelist] php session variable needs to persist

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 07:39:13 CST 2005

Robert Vreeland wrote:

> Yes and no, there is a limit to how much, and what you can store in a cookie
> as well as how many cookies you can set.

Well, yes, fair point.

> Since storing actual user data in a
> cookie is a big security no-no

I take your point. But in this application, the relevant data as I
understood the requirement was the referrer hostname from when the
visitor entered the site.

I can't see there is any great risk to storing this in the cache folder
of the user's computer (especially since the data from that site is
already cached there, and the information is in the user's local history
file...)

And the size thing is not an issue either.

So, good points but I think cookies are still the way to go; no
JS/popups or extra backend work needed, imho.

Cheers

Ian
zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net BETA - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets online
http://snippetz.net