[thelist] Turning on .htaccess in Apache Mac OS X

Alex Robinson thelist at alex.fu2k.org
Wed Nov 9 08:17:04 CST 2005

>>  > How do I turn on .htaccess in my Apache on Mac OS X? I seem to have to
>>  > put an AllowOverride All somewhere, but the Apache documentation is
>>  > totally silent on the actual file I have to put this in. Besides, OS X
>>  > is very adept at hiding all important Apache files.
>>  >
>>  > Could someone please tell me what to add to which file, and please
>>  > specify a complete path name? Thanks.

The file you need to put the AllowOverride All in is the httpd.conf file.

On OS X that lives at:

    /private/etc/httpd/httpd.conf

though that file, by default has the following line

    Include /private/etc/httpd/users/*.conf

so you can just add your stuff there

Note that Apple's default httpd.conf contains (at line 373 in my original)

# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
# permissions.
#
<Directory />
     Options FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<<<

So you could just change that to All.

Mind you, if you're hacking the httpd.conf, you might as well use the
http.conf to do all the stuff you're planning to do in .htaccess
files. That's the official line inn any case.

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/htaccess.html